Thursday 15 March 2012

Car stuck on the dunes, PMR to the rescue!



In 2008 I went to visit friends in the west of Ireland. We decided to camp out one weekend in the Connemara. We stayed near Balliconneely near Clifden, which for some reason I kept calling it Ballybikini. We all had a good laugh over my mispronounciation and turned into some good craic. We camped out by the coast on the sand dunes, and was occasionally spied on by a herd of cows and the local rednecks. One afternoon I went off by myself for a walk with a small bag which included a small PMR446* walkie talkie.

Later that afternoon I noticed a very frustated family of city folk from Dublin with their car stuck on small hump on the sand dunes. I went over to investigate, and yes there were truly stuck - the wheels were spinning! There was no way they were getting out the car out without additional help. So I called back to the base camp on the walkie talkie, spoke to Mary and explained the situation. After a while we assembled the task force of Robin, Dave, Cormac and Kevin (apologies if I left anyone out) with rope, planks, shovels and a vehicle. Gradually we moved the car allowing the poor family to drive home. Their grandmother was so grateful for our help that she gave me 50 euros, and told me to buy a drink for myself and all of the lads. Which I dutifully did at the local shop - wine, beer and food for all.

So even those "bubble wrap" walkie talkies often seen in supermarkets are useful radio communication devices and can help in many situations. Don't underestimate them!

73's from Dave the Pixie

* Private Mobile Radio on 446 MHz. A Pan-European system of low powered portable 2-way radios.

No comments:

Post a Comment